Gloucester, MA Alcohol And Drug Rehab Centers
- Gloucester Substance Abuse Statistics
- Drug And Alcohol Treatment
- Choosing A Rehab Center
- Detox Programs
- Inpatient Treatment Programs
- Outpatient Treatment Programs
- Sober Living Options
- Aftercare Options
- Spring Hill Recovery Center
Alcohol and drug treatment centers available to Gloucester, Massachusetts residents offer a variety of treatment methods for individuals with addiction. Seeking addiction treatment at a drug rehab center is one of the first steps to recovery.
Gloucester is located on Cape Ann along the Atlantic Ocean coastline. Unfortunately, Gloucester is not immune to the harmful effects of substance abuse and drug and alcohol addiction. In fact, substance use disorder is a major health issue in Gloucester and surrounding Essex County.
Alcohol and drug treatment centers near Gloucester provide a variety of addiction treatment programs to combat drug and alcohol abuse and related health effects.
Gloucester, Massachusetts Drug And Alcohol Abuse
Gloucester’s charming exterior may make it appear this city is not affected by the opioid crisis taking place in Massachusetts and across the United States. However, Essex County has recorded more than 1,623 opioid-related overdose deaths in the past 10 years and 278 opioid-related overdose deaths in 2018 alone.
Essex County has seen rising rates of illegal drug use, as well as a drug overdose death rate that is higher than the national average. As of 2014, data showed that 136 of every 10,000 residents in Essex County had been admitted into a substance abuse or addiction treatment program.
Gloucester Drug And Alcohol Treatment
Essex County and Gloucester officials and residents have been battling this opioid and substance abuse crisis for nearly 20 years. A number of preventative efforts are currently being implemented across the county and the state of Massachusetts.
The following are several actions being taken to fight substance abuse in Massachusetts right now:
- raising funds to coordinate statewide prevention efforts
- developing campaigns to combat the stigma surrounding alcohol and drug abuse
- reducing how often opioids are prescribed
- providing drop boxes and disposal sites for unused medications
- implementing numerous educational programs for frontline health and safety workers and residents
Gloucester residents with alcohol or drug addiction also have access to accredited drug and alcohol rehab facilities nearby.
Choosing An Addiction Rehab Center
A variety of quality drug rehab facilities can be located throughout Massachusetts and beyond. However, not all alcohol and drug treatment centers are of the same caliber.
The following are a few characteristics to look for when choosing an addiction treatment facility near Gloucester:
- family involvement: family members are encouraged to attend select therapy sessions and events
- medical detox programs: the treatment facility connects residents with detox programs and offers medication-assisted treatment when needed
- aftercare programs: events, support systems, and additional treatment programs are available after completion of residential treatment
- variety of treatments: residents enjoy access to a variety of traditional and alternative treatment methods
- experience treating your addiction: addiction experts specialize in treating your specific addiction
Rehab Centers Near Gloucester, Massachusetts
Drug and alcohol rehab centers can vary greatly in methods, treatment services, and addiction treatment programs offered. However, the following are several common, proven effective types of substance abuse treatment.
Alcohol And Drug Detox Programs
Detoxification involves the process of withdrawing from an addictive substance, such as alcohol or cocaine. Drug and alcohol detox centers offer around-the-clock support and medical supervision for those undergoing the symptoms of withdrawal.
Medication-assisted treatment is typically available to help ease the symptoms and involves use of specific medications, such as buprenorphine or methadone.
Inpatient Treatment Programs
Inpatient treatment programs are often called residential treatment programs because the recovering individual lives on-site at the drug rehab center campus.
Inpatient drug rehab programs offer a variety of traditional and alternative treatment methods, from group therapy to nutritional education, outdoor activities, mental health treatment, dual diagnosis treatment, and more. All methods are combined to help the recovering individual heal physically and mentally from the harmful effects of addiction.
Outpatient Treatment Programs
Outpatient treatment programs are generally less intensive than inpatient treatment programs. This is because the recovering individual often lives at home while in the outpatient program, rather than at the addiction treatment center.
These recovery programs may allow the individual to continue some aspects of daily life, such as working or attending school.
Sober Living Options
Transitional facilities provide safe accommodations for recovering individuals without a supportive home to which they can return.
Sober living may also include other supportive aftercare programs, such as therapy sessions and additional guidance on the path to addiction recovery. The goal of transitional facilities is to help the recovering individual transition into normal life.
Continuing care is a part of the recovery process that comes after the initial substance abuse treatment. Recovering individuals may undergo several forms of continuing care or aftercare at once, such as attending 12-step meetings, group therapy sessions, or utilizing rehab alumni support.
Spring Hill Recovery Center Near Gloucester, Massachusetts
Gloucester residents can head to northern Massachusetts to undergo addiction treatment at the accredited Spring Hill Recovery Center. Our addiction treatment center is just a 1.5-hour-drive from coastal Gloucester.
Spring Hill has been praised for our effective evidence-based and alternative treatment methods. Our credentialed and certified staff specializes in treating a variety of addictions and substance use disorders.
Contact us at Spring Hill Recovery Center to find out more about our numerous rehab programs and treatment options today.
Written by Spring Hill Editorial Team
©2023 Spring Hill Recovery Center | All Rights Reserved
This page does not provide medical advice.
- DrugAbuse.gov—Massachusetts: Opioid-Involved Deaths and Related Harms https://www.drugabuse.gov/drug-topics/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state/massachusetts-opioid-involved-deaths-related-harms
- DrugAbuse.gov—What Is Drug Addiction? https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drug-misuse-addiction
- ImpactEssexCounty.org—Health https://impactessexcounty.org/health
- Mass.gov—Data Brief: Opioid-Related Overdose Deaths Among Massachusetts Residents https://www.mass.gov/doc/opioid-related-overdose-deaths-among-ma-residents-june-2020/download
- Mass.gov—Number of Opioid-Related Overdose Deaths, All Intents by County, MA Residents: 2010-2018 https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/05/15/Opioid-related-Overdose-Deaths-by-County-May-2019.pdf